3Ca(Po3)2+10C
Steve Turner
2003-07-09 23:28:53 UTC
3Ca(Po3)2+10C
The "10C" means nothing as written. Either this is some sort of a
misprint, or it's taken from an equation. Are you trying to make
phosphorus?
Agreed ... but could it be some kind of ore as written ? (with bits of the
formula missing)
Calcium phosphite in graphite or something? Possible, I suppose; I'm
not a minerologist. But the formula:

3Ca(PO3)2

is still problematic. At the very least, calcium phosphite should be
written Ca3(PO3)2, and I'm not even sure if this form of calcium
phosphite exists.

Again, it would be helpful to know the context of the original.

Steve Turner

Real address contains worldnet instead of spamnet
Eric Lucas
2003-07-10 00:47:36 UTC
The OP had responded, and somehow usenet had resequenced it, with a
"complete" set of three formulae. So you don't have to find his post, I
<QUOTE>
I did Internet search and I got here,
http://www.thirdclassroom.net/htmlib/400941027994287.html
Ca3(PO4)2+2H2SO4 == Ca(H2PO4)2+2CaSO4
Ca(H2PO4)2 == Ca(PO3)2+2H2O
3Ca(PO3)2+10C == Ca3(PO4)2+4P+10CO
still not much help to me.
<END QUOTE>
Ah, all is now clear. I jumped to a wrong conclusion, PO3 is *not* a
phosphite (i.e., P(+3)), but rather PO3(-1), some sort of pyrophosphate,
still formally P(+5). I call it a pyrophosphate because the second reaction
almost certainly involves heat to drive off water. To the OP, the last line
says that 3 molecules of this calcium pyrophosphate reacts with 10 carbon
atoms to give calcium phosphate, 10 molecules of carbon monoxide and 4 atoms
of some allotrope of elemental phosphorus.

Eric Lucas
Steve Turner
2003-07-10 03:31:30 UTC
Post by Eric Lucas
Ah, all is now clear. I jumped to a wrong conclusion, PO3 is *not* a
phosphite (i.e., P(+3)), but rather PO3(-1), some sort of pyrophosphate,
still formally P(+5).
I'll be durned. I've never heard of such a beast, but the Lewis
structure is actually pretty trivial to draw. (Whether or not it's
real is another issue.) Does this really exist as such (i.e., singly
charged monomer)? Pyrophosphates are usually dimeric or trimeric,
IIRC.

Eric Lucas
2003-07-10 03:59:49 UTC
Post by Steve Turner
Post by Eric Lucas
Ah, all is now clear. I jumped to a wrong conclusion, PO3 is *not* a
phosphite (i.e., P(+3)), but rather PO3(-1), some sort of pyrophosphate,
still formally P(+5).
I'll be durned. I've never heard of such a beast, but the Lewis
structure is actually pretty trivial to draw. (Whether or not it's
real is another issue.) Does this really exist as such (i.e., singly
charged monomer)? Pyrophosphates are usually dimeric or trimeric,
IIRC.
I agree, I've never seen such a beast personally. Ca(PO3)2 may just be a
fictional simplification for didactic purposes. Maybe in reality some
partially hydrated dimeric anion like CaH2P2O7, or something like that. On
the other hand, it may be real, with the unstable PO3- anion stabilized by
the Ca ions and lattice energy. My copies of Cotton & Wilkinson and
Greenwood & Earnshaw are at work at the moment.

Eric Lucas
Steve Turner
2003-07-12 02:50:22 UTC
Bruce Sinclair
2003-07-13 22:25:59 UTC
Post by Steve Turner
Ca3(PO4)2+2H2SO4 == Ca(H2PO4)2+2CaSO4
Ca(H2PO4)2 == Ca(PO3)2+2H2O
3Ca(PO3)2+10C == Ca3(PO4)2+4P+10CO
This sounds a lot like a historical recreation of the synthesis of
phosphorus. Concentrated horse urine was used as the phosphate source
and I think, charcoal the carbon.
*Horse* urine??!!! Doubtless you refer to Brandt's original prep? I
had always assumed that he used his own.
As a youngster (and ignorantster) I once tried making phosphorus by a
fanciful perversion of the Brandt method: boiling pee in a coffee can.
I would discourage anyone from repeating the experience. It smells
really horrid, especially after the water is gone and the residue
begins to char.
LOL :) ... Thanks - I needed that :)

Bruce

Oook !
NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !
R Molony
2003-07-14 17:03:18 UTC
Sounds like an attempt to make calcium phosphide.
Calcium phosphide in contact with water produces a crude phosphine gas
which is spontaneously inflamable.
It used to be the basis for emergency rescue markers at sea.
About 100 years ago they were apparently quite common.

Bob M
j***@gmail.com
2013-11-20 18:52:35 UTC
The purpose of this is to create a chemical mixture that becomes radio active when bombarded with specific radio waves. Its part of a device invented by Harold Coleman & Ronald Gillespie. This like has a pdf of the patient on the page you will probably be able to gleam more from this.

www.rexresearch.com/colman/colman.htm

although if you are going to pursue this be prepared to risk your life cause your screwing with alot of money.