liquid paper/whiteout: What is good solvent/thinner?
m***@gmail.com
2014-03-10 23:44:47 UTC
I used to be able to buy "whiteout thinner" at rediculously
expensive-for-the-quantity prices, in little white-out sized bottles.
Now the local Office Depot, etc. doesn't carry it....with one clerk
claiming that the thinner "was banned and the whiteout's are now
water-based anyway"!
Well, it says "Flammable" right on the white out bottle and sure smells
like a volitile hydrocarbon to me!
So what would the formerly-available whiteout-thinner have been? Is it a
product easily available from a chemical supply house? I imagine several
things could substitute. If possible I wouldn't want one that stinks
worse than the whiteout itself.
Thanks!
-Ron Snider-
--
***My Karma ran over my Dogma***
- Anonymous (?)
I use unleaded petrol as thinner. not perfect but good enough for personal use and cheap.
Frank
http://www.liquidpaper.com/res/Smooth%20Coverage%20and%202-in-1.pdf
t***@gmail.com
2016-09-23 23:31:38 UTC
Isopropyl alcohol works fine.
j***@gmail.com
2019-06-15 20:43:34 UTC
Hi folks. I have just tried a few drops of Lighter Fluid in one bottle of correction fluid and a few drops of Isopropyl Alcohol in another bottle of correction fluid and they both work well although I prefer the result with the Isopropyl Alcohol because it results in a slightly smoother surface once it's dry. I'm using a non-water based product called Primeline correction fluid which seems to be no longer available where I live.
d***@gmail.com
Coleman stove fuel works for the newer "fast dry". I think the manufacturer uses naptha.
Mike da Vinci
Acetone works very well.
i***@gmail.com
2017-05-03 18:55:43 UTC
[...]
REPLY DATE 03 MAY 2017 -
Try different things.
Who wants to go to the store to buy something that might not work when you get home? Not me. So I tried solvents that I already had around the house.
If you go to the store, just buy some new correction fluid.
Now for what worked and didn't work...
I tested a small amount of acetone on a small drop of correction fluid, but the acetone did not combine well with the correction fluid. (I don't want to mention any brand names, but the initials of the correction fluid mfgr. are B.I.C.)

I had acceptable success with QD ELECTRONIC CLEANER (Company initials C.R.C.)
The product label lists Isohexane, Difluoroethane, and other solvents.
Good luck.
t***@mtmc.edu
According to SDS on 9/2017, Petroleum Naptha
m***@gmail.com
I used 'paint thinner' on every occasion. It's always somewhere in the garage already.
k***@gmail.com
k***@gmail.com
I use lighter fluid AKA Camp stove Fuel- Just a little squirt in the bottle and you can soak the tip in the cap upsidedown...a gallon will last you long time. ( find a camping friend?)
d***@gmail.com
2018-12-28 23:01:26 UTC
Dec 2018
Added a few drops of _paint thinner_ (mineral spirits) via eyedropper to a dried-up bottle of BIC WiteOut. To my surprise it worked OK.
1) With vigorous shaking it dissolved the built-up crud in the bottle's neck, which was impressive.
2) Fluid stroked evenly across paper with no lumps & hid the underlying print.
3) Dried in a couple minutes, not real quick but fast enough to be acceptable.
4) Wrote over the correction with a ballpoint pen smoothly with no cracking, crumbling or other issue.
5) Using the thinned fluid gives a slight whiff of thinner, but no worse than original.

BTW water did not work as a solvent at all.
t***@gmail.com
2019-06-24 02:04:31 UTC
Hi Mark, I took your advice about the acetone, first using a little 100% acetone nail polish remover to remove some of the “Wite Out Correction Fluid” that got on my hand, and it worked well. So then I added a few drops to the bottle of “Wite Out” (which had become thick to the point of going on in lumpy streaks looking worse than the mistake I was correcting) and the improvement is outstanding — like a brand new bottle of the stuff. 👍