warm air
RichD
2020-11-18 21:35:04 UTC
A nearby college includes a building, surrounded by an
outdoor arcade, at street level. At one point, the warm
internal air is expelled, which is natural, they perform
continuous circulation. A nice spot, on a cold night!

However, I wonder, is there any hazard in breathing that air?
Is it chemically processed somehow, contaminated?

And, isn't it inefficient? The outgoing air ought to
pass through a heat exchanger, to warm the incoming air.
Isn't that wasted energy?

Rich
dlzc
2020-11-18 22:45:47 UTC
Post by RichD
A nearby college includes a building, surrounded by an
outdoor arcade, at street level. At one point, the warm
internal air is expelled, which is natural, they perform
continuous circulation. A nice spot, on a cold night!
OK. I'd wonder why warm air was being expelled, unless fresh air was being blown in an an inversion trapped the warm air below cold.
Post by RichD
However, I wonder, is there any hazard in breathing that air?
Is it chemically processed somehow, contaminated?
Students and teachers have been breathing it. Otherwise, it is just air.
Post by RichD
And, isn't it inefficient? The outgoing air ought to
pass through a heat exchanger, to warm the incoming air.
Isn't that wasted energy?
Sure, but any heat exchanger would be large and require cleaning. Really depends on how (and why) the warm air was being expelled.

David A. Smith