teflon coating on frying pans
Jerry Salinsky
2020-05-11 08:02:49 UTC
Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) is commonly used as the teflon coating on
frying pans. I vaguely remember reading an article that says before
PFOA, it had been perfluorobutanoic acid that was used as the teflon
coating on frying pans. It was later found that perfluorobutanoic acid
widely existed in people's blood stream. Thus, it was replaced by PFOA,
which is not as easy to enter people's blood stream.

I cannot find any reference about this. Is this just my imagination? Can
someone confirm it?
Libor Striz
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) is commonly used as the teflon coating on frying pans. ...
As or for ?

As I can imagine it as auxiliary compound for teflon adhesion,
but not as the coating itself.
Poutnik ( the Wanderer )
Jerry Salinsky
2020-05-12 05:33:58 UTC
Post by Libor Striz
Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) is commonly used as the teflon coating on frying pans. ...
As or for ?
As I can imagine it as auxiliary compound for teflon adhesion,
but not as the coating itself.
OK. Maybe my misconception. But had perfluorobutonoic acid ever been
used before PFOA?
Libor Striz
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
OK. Maybe my misconception. But had perfluorobutonoic acid ever been used before PFOA?
Probably yes, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfluoro
octanoic_acid

What I have understood from brief reading,
it was used rather during PTFE production than at PTFE application
on cookware.
Poutnik ( the Wanderer )
b***@gmail.com