Disposing of iron scraps by electrolysis.
Peter Jason
2020-05-15 23:59:04 UTC
I want to dissolve iron scraps electrolytically; that is turn them
into Fe++ for easy disposal.

I want to use Sulfuric acid as electrolyte.

What voltage DC should I use per Kg of Iron, and would graphite be OK
for one of the terminals?

Desperate
Peter
Libor Striz
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
I want to dissolve iron scraps electrolytically; that is turn them into Fe++ for easy disposal. I want to use Sulfuric acid as electrolyte. What voltage DC should I use per Kg of Iron, and would graphite be OK for one of the terminals?
It is environmentally very unlucky way to dispose iron and cannot
be recommended.

Btw, it cca 3 400 000 C/kg, i.e. cca 960 Ah/kg, so about 2-3 kWh/kg.

Considering price of electricity and acid ( almost 2 kg of pure
acid per kg of iron )
it would be very expensive disposal, aside of the fact you replace
one type of waste by much worse waste.
Poutnik ( the Wanderer )
Peter Jason
2020-05-16 23:32:51 UTC
On Sat, 16 May 2020 05:19:20 +0200 (GMT+02:00), Libor Striz
Post by Libor Striz
I want to dissolve iron scraps electrolytically; that is turn them into Fe++ for easy disposal. I want to use Sulfuric acid as electrolyte. What voltage DC should I use per Kg of Iron, and would graphite be OK for one of the terminals?
It is environmentally very unlucky way to dispose iron and cannot
be recommended.
Btw, it cca 3 400 000 C/kg, i.e. cca 960 Ah/kg, so about 2-3 kWh/kg.
Considering price of electricity and acid ( almost 2 kg of pure
acid per kg of iron )
it would be very expensive disposal, aside of the fact you replace
one type of waste by much worse waste.
Thank you. Luckily we found a drum reconditioner to take away all our
old drums. and plastic ones too. It's hard to dispose of them these
days because imports are displacing manufacture.
Libor Striz
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
I want to dissolve iron scraps electrolytically; that is turn theminto Fe++ for easy disposal.I want to use Sulfuric acid as electrolyte.What voltage DC should I use per Kg of Iron, and would graphite be OKfor one of the terminals?DesperatePeter
Additionally, you would have to implement prevention against
hydrogen explosion.
Poutnik ( the Wanderer )
Martin Brown
2020-05-16 07:29:37 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
I want to dissolve iron scraps electrolytically; that is turn them
into Fe++ for easy disposal.
Why don't you sell them as scrap iron? You won't get very much for them.

Dissolving them electrolytically will cost you a lot of money.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Peter Jason
2020-05-17 01:54:48 UTC
On Sat, 16 May 2020 08:29:37 +0100, Martin Brown
Post by Martin Brown
Post by Peter Jason
I want to dissolve iron scraps electrolytically; that is turn them
into Fe++ for easy disposal.
Why don't you sell them as scrap iron? You won't get very much for them.
No one would take our empty 200L steel drums. The demand for them
these days is minimal. The Greenies authorities want every single
drum rinsed out thrice, then crushed to a pancake for recycle at the
steel works. It all costs money, lots.

We were desperate and were considering two options:

1/ Electrolytic oxidation.
2/ A pure-oxygen reactor to burn them.

Luckily a rag-and-bone man was interested and took them all away for
free.