Pure glycerin
Fred
2009-05-01 20:45:41 UTC
When I rub pure glycerin on my skin, what happens to it?
It is very moisturizing for my dry skin and it absorbs a lot of water.
However, what happens to the glycerin when it stays on the skin for a
while? Does it get absorbed into the body? What does it break down
into, if anything? Do bacteria or other microbes use it or metabolize
it for anything?
Marvin
2009-05-02 15:50:49 UTC
Post by Fred
When I rub pure glycerin on my skin, what happens to it?
It is very moisturizing for my dry skin and it absorbs a lot of water.
However, what happens to the glycerin when it stays on the skin for a
while? Does it get absorbed into the body? What does it break down
into, if anything? Do bacteria or other microbes use it or metabolize
it for anything?
Your body, including the skin, already contains lots of
glycerin. Fat is made up of triglycerides, compounds made up
of glycerin and fatty acids. The amount you put on your
skin is insignificant. Yes, it is metabolized.
Fred
2009-05-03 23:28:41 UTC
When I rub pureglycerinon my skin, what happens to it?
It is very moisturizing for my dry skin and it absorbs a lot of water.
However, what happens to theglycerinwhen it stays on the skin for a
while? Does it get absorbed into the body? What does it break down
into, if anything? Do bacteria or other microbes use it or metabolize
it for anything?
Your body, including the skin, already contains lots ofglycerin. Fat is made up of triglycerides, compounds made up
ofglycerinand fatty acids.  The amount you put on your
skin is insignificant.  Yes, it is metabolized.
Some scientists have told me they aren't sure if the glycerin
(glycerol) we put on our skin gets absorbed into the body. And when/if
it does get absorbed, does it just go through the krebs cycle or does
it get incorporated into fatty tissues or triglycerides?
Marvin
2009-05-04 17:50:09 UTC
Post by Fred
When I rub pureglycerinon my skin, what happens to it?
It is very moisturizing for my dry skin and it absorbs a lot of water.
However, what happens to theglycerinwhen it stays on the skin for a
while? Does it get absorbed into the body? What does it break down
into, if anything? Do bacteria or other microbes use it or metabolize
it for anything?
Your body, including the skin, already contains lots ofglycerin. Fat is made up of triglycerides, compounds made up
ofglycerinand fatty acids. The amount you put on your
skin is insignificant. Yes, it is metabolized.
Some scientists have told me they aren't sure if the glycerin
(glycerol) we put on our skin gets absorbed into the body. And when/if
it does get absorbed, does it just go through the krebs cycle or does
it get incorporated into fatty tissues or triglycerides?
See the Metabolism section at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol
بازرگانی شیمیایی تهران
2022-09-11 06:01:38 UTC
Post by Fred
When I rub pure glycerin on my skin, what happens to it?
It is very moisturizing for my dry skin and it absorbs a lot of water.
However, what happens to the glycerin when it stays on the skin for a
while? Does it get absorbed into the body? What does it break down
into, if anything? Do bacteria or other microbes use it or metabolize
it for anything?
Glycerin prevents the loss of body water by creating a skin barrier and keeps the skin always moist. This substance is safe and is present in most skin moisturizers

https://tehran-chem.com/glycerin/