What will dissolve Shoe Goo quickly?
James
2008-10-30 05:08:48 UTC
Anyone know of something that will quickly dissolve cured Shoe Goo -
the stuff in squeeze tube that cures to a rubber-like material?

I've tried paint remover - both citrus-based and the automotive stuff,
acetone, ligher fluid, even gasoline since I'd read that it dissolves
Shoe Goo. It seems to soften it some but it's got a lot of fumes and
doesn't really work all that effectively from what I've seen.

I'm re-doing some sneakers so I don't want to also dissolve the
sneaker material that the sole layer adheres to.

Thanks for all input.
ransley
2008-10-30 11:08:46 UTC
Post by James
Anyone know of something that will quickly dissolve cured Shoe Goo -
the stuff in squeeze tube that cures to a rubber-like material?
I've tried paint remover - both citrus-based and the automotive stuff,
acetone, ligher fluid, even gasoline since I'd read that it dissolves
Shoe Goo. It seems to soften it some but it's got a lot of fumes and
doesn't really work all that effectively from what I've seen.
I'm re-doing some sneakers so I don't want to also dissolve the
sneaker material that the sole layer adheres to.
Thanks for all input.
Put gasolene in a covered pot, then put it on the stove on high for 38
minutes, goo will be gone.
James
2008-10-30 12:50:52 UTC
Post by ransley
Put gasolene in a covered pot, then put it on the stove on high for 38
minutes, goo will be gone.
Gee, thanks!

**SMACK** upside your head.
Moldy Cheese
So will stove, kitchen, house...
Red Green
Geesh!, some people are so negative.
Huuitib
2019-05-08 20:14:02 UTC
replying to ransley, Huuitib wrote:
That's idiotic. You'll burn down the house that way;!!!
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/what-will-dissolve-shoe-goo-quickly-339089-.htm
Andrew Usher
2008-10-30 13:14:05 UTC
Post by James
Anyone know of something that will quickly dissolve cured Shoe Goo -
the stuff in squeeze tube that cures to a rubber-like material?
I've tried paint remover - both citrus-based and the automotive stuff,
acetone, ligher fluid, even gasoline since I'd read that it dissolves
Shoe Goo. It seems to soften it some but it's got a lot of fumes and
doesn't really work all that effectively from what I've seen.
I don't know the exact ingeridents. But it's likely that nothing will
dissolve it once it's cured; I'd bet it's a superglue-type
polymerisation.

It might be a good idea to post the ingeridents if it says anywhere
- or does anyone else know?

Andrew Usher
Frank
2008-10-30 13:21:36 UTC
Post by Andrew Usher
Post by James
Anyone know of something that will quickly dissolve cured Shoe Goo -
the stuff in squeeze tube that cures to a rubber-like material?
I've tried paint remover - both citrus-based and the automotive stuff,
acetone, ligher fluid, even gasoline since I'd read that it dissolves
Shoe Goo. It seems to soften it some but it's got a lot of fumes and
doesn't really work all that effectively from what I've seen.
I don't know the exact ingeridents. But it's likely that nothing will
dissolve it once it's cured; I'd bet it's a superglue-type
polymerisation.
It might be a good idea to post the ingeridents if it says anywhere
- or does anyone else know?
Andrew Usher
Not sure it's cured and years ago when I used some, I seem to recall a
chlorinated solvent like tetrachloroethylene or ethylene dichloride.
Think you can buy paint removers with methylene chloride.

As a polymer it will take long time to dissolve or plasticize enough for
mechanical removal.
Salmon Egg
2008-10-30 13:38:17 UTC
In article
Post by James
Anyone know of something that will quickly dissolve cured Shoe Goo -
the stuff in squeeze tube that cures to a rubber-like material?
I've tried paint remover - both citrus-based and the automotive stuff,
acetone, ligher fluid, even gasoline since I'd read that it dissolves
Shoe Goo. It seems to soften it some but it's got a lot of fumes and
doesn't really work all that effectively from what I've seen.
I'm re-doing some sneakers so I don't want to also dissolve the
sneaker material that the sole layer adheres to.
Thanks for all input.
IIRC, the aroma of Shoe Goo reminded me of toluene. While not the
greatest substance to work with, there are many much worse. Next on my
list would be MEK, methyl ethyl ketone. That is more unpleasent.

Bill
James
2008-11-01 09:37:38 UTC
IIRC, the aroma ofShoeGooreminded me of toluene. While not the
greatest substance to work with, there are many much worse. Next on my
list would be MEK, methyl ethyl ketone. That is more unpleasent.
Home Depot didn't have Toluene (I've also heard it'll rejuvenate dried
out magic markers) MEK definitely does the job. Nasty stuff though -
definitely outdoor use only. I've got the shoe set up outside on a
table, upside down - lay a cloth over the shoe bottom, pour the MEK
over the cloth holding my breath, then form a sheet of tinfoil over it
to impede evaporation. After a while it turns the Shoe Goo to mush,
which I scrape off with a folding knife, which seems to be the perfect
tool - use the flatter part of the blade to clean the broad areas and
curved depressions, the pointy part to get in the corners.

Thanks!
charlie
did you call the 800 number on the side of the tube and ask them?
Norminn
2008-10-30 16:58:01 UTC
Post by James
Anyone know of something that will quickly dissolve cured Shoe Goo -
the stuff in squeeze tube that cures to a rubber-like material?
I've tried paint remover - both citrus-based and the automotive stuff,
acetone, ligher fluid, even gasoline since I'd read that it dissolves
Shoe Goo. It seems to soften it some but it's got a lot of fumes and
doesn't really work all that effectively from what I've seen.
I'm re-doing some sneakers so I don't want to also dissolve the
sneaker material that the sole layer adheres to.
Thanks for all input.
IF any chemical will remove it, it would be important to know
composition of the item
it is being removed from. I did a google search on 'shoe goo msds" and
came up with
a link that provides an email addy to the co. for requesting MSDS:
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/SHOEGOODirections.htm

...and a link for technical data:
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/_tds/sg_tds.pdf
(uncured, remove w/acetone; cured, remove by cutting or scraping. "DO
NOT dry-clean Shoe GOO® because dry cleaning solvent breaks down the
cured adhesive.")
Bill Penrose
2008-10-30 16:01:46 UTC
Post by James
Anyone know of something that will quickly dissolve cured Shoe Goo -
the stuff in squeeze tube that cures to a rubber-like material?
I've tried paint remover - both citrus-based and the automotive stuff,
acetone, ligher fluid, even gasoline since I'd read that it dissolves
Shoe Goo. It seems to soften it some but it's got a lot of fumes and
doesn't really work all that effectively from what I've seen.
I'm re-doing some sneakers so I don't want to also dissolve the
sneaker material that the sole layer adheres to.
It's a silicone that polymerizes when exposed to the moisture in the
air. Chances are that anything you use to remove it will dissolve the
shoe and leave the Shoe Goo. Your best bet is a good sharp Xacto
knife.

Dangerous Bill
b***@laceyschools.org
2013-11-10 17:17:12 UTC
what will dissolve a shoe
Frank
2013-11-10 18:01:00 UTC
Post by b***@laceyschools.org
what will dissolve a shoe
http://eclecticproducts.com/_tds/sg_bg_r00_tds.pdf
k***@gmail.com
Fire
a***@gmail.com
i used shoegoo to stick the hair catcher on the shower drain. its on there good after shampoos and suds fr a year. i tried silicone hair serum and it can work because silicone liquid adheres to silicone solid and melts it ( dont ask how i found this out ) do not touch it or rub it in with a toothbrush just be patient and let it sit for a night dont shmush it in because it could leave a stain. any clear silicone hair serum is fine then take a cuticle cutter and every so gingerly nip away the glue if u mess up your shoe by digging to hard u ruined it
Lars
2021-01-19 20:15:02 UTC
Coleman fuel softens it so it can be scraped off. It is cleaner than gasoline. And doesnt leave any residue. MEK aparently also works but haven't tried yet
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/what-will-dissolve-shoe-goo-quickly-339089-.htm
Rod Speed
2021-01-19 20:52:13 UTC
Post by Lars
Coleman fuel softens it so it can be scraped off. It is cleaner than
gasoline. And doesnt leave any residue. MEK aparently also works but
haven't tried yet.
He has likely worked it out or has given up after 12 years.

Its unlikely he will read your post now.
Peeler
2021-01-19 21:07:49 UTC
On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 07:52:13 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

<FLUSH the trolling senile asshole's latest trollshit unread>
cretin's pathological trolling:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/rod-speed-faq.2973853/