Water in the tank - what chemical will dry gasoline?
mike
2023-02-12 18:29:30 UTC
Kid thought he was doing me a favor when he used an old steel (leaking) gas
can to bring it from empty to a quarter of a tank after he used the car.

It starts and runs but immediately triggers a cylinder shutdown which I can
erase on the fly with an obdii tester on my lap but it happens every few
minutes where the cylinder shuts down.

Car has a cat (which is why the cylinder shuts down) but the car is a $400
beater so it's not worth taking to a mechanic.

Hence my question is whether I just burn off the rest of the gas or if
there's a way to siphon it out. I tried putting a hose down the tank but
there is some kind of check valve that stops it cold.

How would you handle it on your own given it's not worth a trip to the
mechanic?

Is there a substance (alcohol or acetone?) which "dries" the gasoline?
Bob F
https://www.amazon.com/dry-gas-car/s?k=dry+gas+for+car
The Real Bev
2023-02-12 20:54:14 UTC
Post by Bob F
Post by mike
[...]
We used denatured alcohol several decades ago when it was cheap.

The Thrifty gas station filled our tank from their near-empty
underground tank. We ultimately siphoned out a gallon, which was
roughly 1/4 water. I took the jug back and screamed at the attendant,
but it didn't do any good.
--
Cheers, Bev
"I won't allow the half of Americans who pay no taxes to bear the burden
of the other half who aren't paying their fair share." -- Guess Who
chop
2023-02-12 21:05:39 UTC
Post by mike
Kid thought he was doing me a favor when he used an old steel (leaking) gas
can to bring it from empty to a quarter of a tank after he used the car.
It starts and runs but immediately triggers a cylinder shutdown which I can
erase on the fly with an obdii tester on my lap but it happens every few
minutes where the cylinder shuts down.
Car has a cat (which is why the cylinder shuts down) but the car is a $400
beater so it's not worth taking to a mechanic.
Hence my question is whether I just burn off the rest of the gas or if
there's a way to siphon it out. I tried putting a hose down the tank but
there is some kind of check valve that stops it cold.
How would you handle it on your own given it's not worth a trip to the
mechanic?
Take the hose that moves the gasoline from the tank to the
fuel pump off and drain the gasoline tank. Then add more
clean gasoline and do that repeatedly until you don't get
any more water out of the tank.

All that gasoline that you get out can be put into a clear
glass jar and the gasoline decanted off from the water.
Not with that amount of water.
Peeler
2023-02-12 21:24:24 UTC
On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 08:05:39 +1100, chop, better known as cantankerous

Marland addressing senile Rodent's tall stories:
"Do you really think people believe your stories you come up with to boost
your self esteem."
On 2/12/23 12:29, mike wrote:

[snip]
Post by mike
Hence my question is whether I just burn off the rest of the gas or if
there's a way to siphon it out. I tried putting a hose down the tank but
there is some kind of check valve that stops it cold.
ANOTHER victim of crime prevention. They ASSUME someone doing that is
stealing gas.

[snip]
Bob F
They make if difficult for people to steal your gas. Thank you for that.
dlzc
2023-02-13 15:00:03 UTC
Post by Bob F
Post by Sam E
[snip]
Post by mike
Hence my question is whether I just burn off the rest of the gas or if
there's a way to siphon it out. I tried putting a hose down the tank but
there is some kind of check valve that stops it cold.
ANOTHER victim of crime prevention. They ASSUME someone doing that is
stealing gas.
[snip]
They make if difficult for people to steal your gas. Thank you for that.
It is not unheard of for people to cut the gas line, capture what they need, and let the rest hit the ground. It has been done when there are locking gas caps, in poorer communities.

David A. Smith